I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

2.10.2006

I get confused sometimes, but i swear I'm not making this up

OK, first question...how long is a block? Second question...does the standard definition for the length of a block differ depending on which system you traditionally use?

So I am in the apartment business and by business I mean I am looking to rent an apartment. My desires are not outrageous. I'm looking for a two bedroom place where I will pay no more than $800 a month after utilities. I am looking exclusively in Virginia and within walking distance to a metro. So far, two places have fit my requirements (actually 3, but I missed out on one). The first one was listed as 3 blocks from the metro. It is February. The day I went to see the place was not traditional February cold, but it was around 50 degrees outside. Well, 8-10 blocks into the walk, I am sweating and thinking outloud to myself and friend, NCSpud, "Why would they say this place is 3 blocks from the metro?" So after we leaving the apartment complex I ask the person who showed us the apartment how far the metro is. She says 3 blocks using the shortcut. So we take the shortcut back and low and behold, it's still not 3 blocks. We chalk this up to her trying to sell the place as much as possible.

So fast forward to right now. I call a place listed at $1500 2 bedroom 2 bathroom all utilities included. I practically sprinted off the metro to call this person when I saw the ad. I ask him the address and I recognize the location as close to my current abode....which is 1.5 miles from the metro. I ask him how far from the metro this place is...he says 2 blocks.

Which brings me back to my inital question. Do people who rent apartments have some sort of scale for a block system that I am not aware of? I give myself 4 blocks in the summer time here in DC before my monkey suit gets to me and out comes the sweat. Nothing says "I feel great today" like sweating at 8:30 in the morning on a weekday on the way to work.

Moving forward, since when did it make less sense to live in Virigina over DC? The only difference is the price in car insuarance. I have seen plenty of places in DC that are cheaper than some of the miserable places out in VA. As a person who makes more than nothing but less than something, I understand I am not going to live in a "nice" apartment until I moblize to globalize my financial situation. but until that new job with redicuously higher salary for equal to less work comes around, out in VA I will be.

A funny think I just realized 3.4 seconds ago is that these cheaper places available in DC are in the ghetto (read that like cartman for full effect please) or in the Glover Park area. I think this is because of the lack of proximity to the metro train stations. But if you think about it like I think about it, the only difference between waiting for a bus and waiting for a train is that you get to wait indoors at most metro train stops...advantage Metro train. However, while this might make more sense for rush hour times, what about off peak hours, which include weekdays post morning rush and pre evening rush hours and all weekends, which for some reason in the tourist capital of the world, the trains run every 78 minutes? With the metro bus, you can lolly gag your way down the street becuase most buses stop every block or two...now, I know what you are saying because Q.P. Live is saying it too...how long are the blocks? Advantage Metro Bus because you can make progress while waiting.

As I check craigslist once more, there are 2 bedroom places for over $1600 a pop in walking distance to the metro! are you f-ing serious? Do people live in VA for purposes other than cheaper living? What's the point to live in VA if you do everything else in DC if the price is the same? Of course, I would follow this had I not lost when I fought the law....but it's cool, in 18 months GEICO and me will be boys, so I guess I will see you then.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of places a block is claimed to be 1/10th of a mile but in DC it depends because there are diagonal and disappearing streets to confuse the terrorists. All bets are off in VA.

5:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home