I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

10.09.2007

I'm sorry?

I guess I should apologize for Beef Supreme for posting annoying comments about the success of the Patriots should Romo throw 6 ints. I know you don't care and I definitely don't care.

That being said, thanks for reading and commenting...

Now, I bet a bunch of you out there are thinking I'm bitter because the Yankees are out of the playoffs. In fact, the opposite is true. I've gotten quite used to these kinds of exits and I move on. Traditionally, I get frustrated during the playoff series and stress out a little. Once it's over, it's over. I stay mad for about 10 seconds and then I feel a little sorrow that I won't get to watch my favorite team a couple of nights a week. I watch the remainder of the playoffs and root for the feel good stories. This year, Cleveland and Colorado. And props to Cleveland. Absolutely amazing what they did with 2 outs and runners in scoring position (12 for 27). It was an amazing performance. How can you beat a team that is that consistent/clutch?

I read this article on espn.com today: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/071009&sportCat=mlb&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

It talks about how it's no fun anymore to be a yankee fan because of the win at all costs mentality. I guess that's true for most people, but I don't feel that way. I used to until the Red Sox broke the curse. Then I decided it wasn't any fun rooting for my team and against another. Instead, now I just care about my team and take the good with the bad. Yeah, they lost...but they have 3 of the most talented young pitchers all starting for them next year. It could be a total disaster relying on that much youth...but it could also be the start of another dynasty formed in the same way that the successful franchises of today have formed...like Cleveland, Anahiem, Colorado and Arizona. They developed their teams over the past years and will be successful due to their young talent for years to come. This is also what the Yankees are doing too, only they have the payroll to keep the players once they qualify for their monster contracts.

This is their advantage to being in a huge market with shit tons of money. With their new youth, they can cut payroll. It will still be the most in the league and an absurd number, but at least they are starting to get fiscally responsible...and I think that's what people around baseball want from them anyway. The Yankees will always be hated for being the Yankees, but taking away one of the arguing points (payroll) would be sweet...at least from my perspective.

As for Beefies comment about Roger Clemens and the yankees paying him around $1 million per start...I felt fine about it then and I still do now. Nope, he didn't come through. Turns out he's 45 years old and it didn't work out for the Yankees...oh well. If they didn't have him, the yankees would have been starting guys who give up 4 home runs in a row for the entire season and ruin their confidence and make them useless in the future. Also, it gave me another season to root for one of the greatest pitchers of all time...it made me able to cheer on Roger Clemens. That was like rooting for Michael Jordan when he was in DC. It's just fun to do that.

I don't give a damn that they through all that money at him because it's not my money. I don't like dealing with the haters that complain about the amount of money they throw around, but if they make the playoffs every year and win the world series during my lifetime, well then that's just wonderful. Plenty of teams don't make the playoffs every year. The yankees were the only team to be in them last year and this year....that makes me happy...it would make you happy too if it was your team.

As for the future, here are some of my thoughts:

Torre will be gone. It's sad because it's the end of an era, but I think the time has come.

Rivera/Posada/Pettitte will be back

Clemens is gone.

Abreu is back

A-Rod signs a ridiculous contract but ultimately stays.

Damon gets traded.

That's what I'm thinking/like to see. We'll see how terribly off I am.

Sorry to bother you with another Yankees post, but it's the end of a wild season and I just wanted to let everyone know I feel no need to jump off a building.

Also, I think Jeter needs to be moved into the outfield and away from shortstop...just saying.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you're not a Cubs fan.

11:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home