I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

10.04.2007

Kickball quickie...


Today is battle day. Not in nearly the same as last week, no trash talk going back and forth between teams, no rad videos in foreign languages with subtitles...none of that kind of stuff. However, every time we step on the kickball field, it is a challenge to keep the other team off the scoreboard. This week we are missing one of our best women and 2 of our free agent pickups. I don't like it when our main people miss games because it makes me nervous. The leader of Faygo nation claims that I have some kind of imbalance due to my neurotic kickball ways. I agree entirely with him, but with good reason: it's really stressful being on QP Live. Shit, it's stressful being QP Live, let alone with an entire nation bearing your name all in the fight to destroy every kickball team before you. This is serious shit.

The bar has been set pretty high this season. No runs allowed. If we win the regular season, we get an automatic invite to next years kickball tournament in Vegas. I've never been to Vegas before...not that I really feel an urge to go or anything, but it would be f-ing sweet to go and play kickball over Labor Day weekend. Going along with all of that, we are currently ranked 11th on the kickball365 rankings. This is only our 3rd season and we've been given the gift of notoriety...that means people don't look past us...rather, people look forward to playing us and trying to beat us. It's a lot of pressure knowing that every team you play is gunning for you and trying to take you down. I hate this only because on the 1% chance that a team not named Scoregasm actually beats us, people are going to be really excited to hear that QP Live went down.

I can't have that. The team can't have that. It's like shielding your children from all that is bad in the world. You don't want them exposed to that and I'm not trying to be the guy who causes this to happen. It's not for me. I don't want to see the message boards light up with glee that a powerhouse went down. I don't want to see the haters say shit like we are not for real. I don't want to see people say that we were prematurely put on the rankings...because I'm not done moving up that bitch yet.

I'm pretty sure I won't be happy with our ranking until we hit the top 5....and then, I want to see us in the top spot.

As for next week, well that will be an entire week of anticipation, build up and roughly 300 team emails (not exaggerating). Next week we play Scoregasm. They are currently ranked behind us because we beat them twice in the fall. They added some new players, just like us, and this is surely to be an incredibly intense game. But that's a week from now and I'm sure I'll bring it up plenty next week.

So for tonight it's on vs. Turn Your Head and Cough. They're an experienced team, though a few of their players may no longer be on the team after last weeks "hey, f u head ref, i'm throwing hobo on you now" altercation that went on between a husband, wife and guy with a visor. Truly tragic. Either way, they know how to play and are a threat to the shut out streak. Can't let that happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home