I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

6.05.2007

I've tried this before




I've tried to put youtube videos on here before, but it never worked. It might this time and that would probably be the raddest f-ing ever.

This is what is affectionately know to Knicks fans as "The Dunk". It's back when the Knicks/Bulls were one of the biggest rivalry in basketball. Chicago was busy dominating the league and keeping Patrick Ewing from ever getting a championship ring, while half of the kids in my class were Knicks fans and the others were miracuously Bulls fans. That used to bother me so much. You would walk in to school and the kid who grew up down the street would tell you all about how awesome "his" team (located 1000 miles away) played last night and about how my favorite team (25 miles away) was going to lose whatever series it was.

But this one play will always serve as a reminder of how good those Knicks teams were...championship caliber and only held back by some of the greatest teams of all times.

John Starks drove the lane and dunked over I believe it was Horace Grant with Michael Jordan unable to prevent it as well. But this 6'1 shooting guard throws down powerfully, left handed and posterizes the world champions. I remember my brother used to have a poster of this dunk in his room and he hated the NBA and the Knicks. It was that awesome. take that take that.

I'm all nostalgic today and have been for the past few days. This past weekend was the final tryout weekend before Truck Stop made its final cuts. We went to a tournament, conviently named CUT (Cazanovia Ultimate Tournament) and the team was decided by the 5 person selection committee last night. I found out this morning that I made the team. For the past few days I had gone through all the emotions of what it would feel like to make the team, to not make the team, and what it will feel like if certain players get cut and other do not. It's sad because we can't just have the same team as last year. We wouldn't be successful that way and not everyone deserved to be on this years team.

But in a lot of ways, there are likely people who are on the team but don't necessarily deserve to be on the team...or at least not yet. There were 3 tryout practices and 3 tryout tournaments. I made it to all 3 tournaments and 2 of the 3 practices. I know there were some people who only made it to 1 of each. This troubles me if only because these players feel they can make it through the season and continue to show up only when convenient to their schedule.

This may sound kind of harsh, but I don't mean it that way. Playing ultimate, be it practice or tournaments, every weekend takes a real committment and a lot of sacrifice. Some people work numerous hours a week, some with school on top of that. Others are just kind of looking for any excuse to get out of it and are skating by on talent alone. I envy those players because I have to work really hard both at practice, at tournaments and on the majority of off days just to be able to touch the disc every now and again on any of the points I play.

In the end, I remember back to senior year at GW, playing Cornell on day 2 at regionals. I remember after we won that game, walking onto the field with my arms raised and fist clenched and feeling like I deserved to celebrate that way. I think that was the only time in my life where I knew that I put in the total effort for the entire season and I was rewarded. I felt that no matter what happened in the final game, I was walking away from my college career with my head high and a wonderful accomplishment. I also knew that all of my teammates had put in the same efforts and sacrifices and earned that victory and that feeling.

That is what I want from Truck Stop this year. It may be my last season playing ultimate, or at least it may be my last playing for Truck Stop. I might be moving next summer. If it is, I want to share a tremendous season with my new teammates and I want to remember the efforts that we collectively put in as a team. I want to be able to recall all the workouts, all the long practices in the miserable DC summer, all the long drives, expensive flights, pain in the ass to deal with tasks like getting hotels and jerseys and rental cars...all of that I want to remember every last detail like I remember my last season at GW. I want to feel like I felt when I saw John Starks throw down over the Bulls. Like it didn't matter what else happened because we accomplished a great feat.

Hallelujah holla back.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

good post, Ed

11:43 AM

 
Blogger Tim said...

Wow Ed really well put. Honestly, Soph. year regionals will always be my greatest year/moment of ultimate as well. Not when I went to nationals or when I was a Sr. and won sectionals. But the motherfuckin scrappy as hell blue collar 7 seed showing everyone in the metro east why they deserved their respect.

Ultimate is in a tricky place because I felt like part of what drew me to the sport was that it was not a varsity activity and didnt require the same 100% commitment. But at the same time there is potential to create that culture among a team and rise above your potential to touch greatness and I dont think any team could be a better example of that than your senior year. The epitome and culmination arriving in the game where we ended Cornell (the #1 seed's season). However, not everyone comes to the table in club ultimate with the same experiences and alot of top athletes (in the true sense of the word) played a varsity sport and became disenfranchised as a result of the effort they had to put in and the sports they may have loved were no longer "fun".

I hope for your sake that Truck Stop does find that same "magic" and becomes greater than the sum of its individual parts. Keep doing what you do, lead by example, and get in your mans face at practice to try and outwork you.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger Ben said...

Two good posts back to back.

That weekend was ridiculous. I think I blacked out during the end of the Cornell game and came to at Gelman two days later. The Cornell and Penn St games were the only truely blue collar games we had in my four years right down to Codrea and his mohawk on the sidelines. That was a blue collar hair cut and sunburn.

Congratulations on making the team Ed.

4:03 PM

 
Blogger Sean said...

Good thoughts from a good car ride. Our little discussions took me back and all of the thoughts finally came out when I just tried to write about Pitt at Nationals this past year.

By the way my week:

Monday- Two games SL
Tuesday- Pickup Bball, Yoga
Wednesday- One game NJ Open League
Thursday- Sprints + Agility workout

I think we are cut from similar cloth Ed. And I think Pitt 05 and GW 03 could have a helluva blue-collar competition. But thats for another day in the anals of ME history.

In the meantime- I will outwork you this summer Ed. Prove me wrong.

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

ed, how did you get this video into the blog?

4:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home