I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

7.15.2007

I'm off the list....for now

in case you haven't heard, and since i saw most of you in the past week, the kickball team QP Live Nation is officially the champion of the kickball universe.

well, just the division we play in, but it's pretty sweet none the less. We will also be nationally ranked with the updated rankings come out last week.

WHAT? national rankings for kickball? yup, on the this website under the "National Power Poll" link, there are a bunch of threads. A new one starts when he posts that weeks rankings.

So to all of you that think this is stupid, it is. But it's pretty sweet to be nationally ranked in anything, even if it is kickball, frisbee or anything really, even fluffing.

But I said I didn't want to lose to those nerds and we didn't. This, officially, takes me off the "least clutch player of all time" list that I put myself on. Since I made the list, there really is no one else on there. But I think we should hold discussions about people that could make it. I put myself on it for a few reasons...some are here:

1. everyone knows about the last throw of my college ultimate career.
2. last year in the softball finals, i struck out. later in that game, i grounded out and lined out. in 4 at bats, i was on 1 time...and i'm the professional, remember?
3. i've never scored more than 9 points in a referred basketball game in my life. this year in a game, i had 7 at the end of the first half. everyone knew about my shortcoming. i played 15 minutes in the second half, took 15 shots and made 1.
4. um, 2005 at regionals with the whole bert incident. that was pretty unclutch.

usually, my lack of clutchness shows up in the finals of any competition, but the basketball one has been with me forever. it's never going to happen and i've accepted that. it's pretty pathetic, but i live everyday knowing i am a roll player and still averaged like 5 points a game this past season (we lost in the finals of that season too). so i got that going for me.

i feel like the criteria for others to be added to the list has to be surrounded by people time and again failing in the clutch, preferably in championship game settings. people who show up day in day out, but always seem to be bested by another player or players. any got any good ones?

and like peyton manning, when the win that big game, they come off the list...until they perform some massive unclutch event again.

i feel i come off the list because i was pretty clutch all season for the kickball team. i was a strong kicker and shut out a bunch of teams while pitching, including the team we played in the finals. granted, my defense had a lot to do with keeping the runs off the board, but i felt i pitched pretty strong the other night. i struck out a couple of batters, made others miss completely and got teams best kickers out in tight situations. all in all, i felt really proud to be on the team that won the championship, better than i thought i would. so for that, off the list i go.

but the list is lonely, so shotahollerdoggies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I definitely agree with feeling alot better than I thought I would. I was excited btu it was really sweet to go out and win with the group of people that we won with. And the beer was so cold out of the trophy cup.

FOr the record I do not think 2005 regionals counts. We came in as a 7 seed, we beat Cornell and were in the game to go. It was probably the best ultimate I'd played in my life and alot of that had to do with it being the last time we would get to play together (OMS too). In fact I probably wouldnt have really played that year if it wasnt for you tracking down my number and calling me to go to practice and shit like that. (I didnt really come out until WUFF and then I played my first real tourney and was hooked). Anyway what im trying to say is that maybe your uncluch in the finals (with the exception of kickball) because thats the price you pay for rising above expectations to get there. In the case of kickball, we belonged there and you were clutch, we won it all. The end.

7:43 AM

 
Blogger Ben said...

>any got any good ones?

no, you are pretty much it

2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home