I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

6.14.2007

get to work

i started this new routine since i moved back into DC. on thursdays, i wake up at 7 am, put on my running shoes and do my weekly bridge work out. i used to do it on my lunch break on thursdays but when i run from work, do the workout and then run back, it takes longer than the hour i am given for lunch...so i started this new routine and i like it...plus, when i would do it during lunch, i would have to run one fewer set of stairs so i could get back sooner...honestly, that's what i told myself and i got tired of selling myself short.

for those that don't know the workout, along memorial bridge there are a series of evenly spaced lightposts. these go the length of the bridge, which is about .3 miles long. so a typical workout is to jog from one post to the next (1 post length), sprint the next, then jog 2 posts, then sprint 2, jog 1, sprint 1, jog 2, sprint 2...repeat. you do this all the way down, walk it off for about a minute and then turn around and do it again. it's not the longest workout, but it is repetitive sprinting and i feel this is good training for ultimate.

if you do the above listed workout, it comes to 4 sets of 1 post sprints and 3 sets of 3 post sprints in each direction. from there, i always do 10 sets of stairs. there are about 45 steps along the potomac river right there. up counts as 1. i do 2 sets of 5. from there, i jog back home. in total, it takes about 50 minutes.

i do it on thursdays because i used to play basketball on wednesday nights. i like doing two sprint intensive workouts back to back because at tournaments you play 2 full days of ultimate and training one day and taking the next off doesn't seem beneficial to the sport....holy run on sentence QP Live. basketball has been moved to mondays because we are starting to have our first set of weeknight truck stop practices and that is more important (plus a better workout).

i love this bridge workout. i could feel it paying off last night at practice, but that's not the only reason i love it. i love that i am done with this workout and home at 8 to stretch, eat breakfast and shower before work. i love that it puts me in a great mood for the rest of the day, better than i feel any other time of the week.

but what i love the most and what keeps me running is the memories i have from doing this with my college teammates.

i remember faust one day making us start from the very first light post when i used to jog out the first two and then start my sprints. because of ben, i get an extra two lengths out of every workout.

i remember ben carlone, who used to do things on his own and miss a lot of workouts, showing up late 1 day and instead of sprinting variable lengths, jogging 1 and sprinting 1 the whole way down. that always seemed like torture to me.

my fondest memories of the bridge and stairs, however, are of doing them with my main english teach, andrew snausages. this is where i first learned that he was a lot faster than i had ever realized...and that he works just as hard if not harder than any other guy i ever worked out with.

when he was a freshman and on the B team, he was the only 1 to take up the offer to do these workouts with. when he was a sophomore, i would run with him expecting to beat him and he would burn me every length down and back.

i also remember him on the stairs still giving it his all. at the time, i always felt he was going to throw me into traffic or the potomac, because i would yell at him and tell him he wasn't working hard enough on the stairs, but it's the memory of running with him that keeps me going.

lots of things go through my head when i am running in general. it varies from how good i feel about what i'm doing, or how bad i'm feeling that day, what am i going to do with my life, how awesome i think it is that no matter what time i work out, i see 100 other people out there too, etc.

but whenever i hit that bridge, i remember the hungry hungry hippos and that's what is helping me so far this season. i can already feel the difference between this year and last year, in terms of energy on the frisbee field. i never thought i'd feel good on a field again after a few seasons of subpar condition, but since i feel i am on a good pace, i really feel it is important to thank the people that have motivated me.

so thanks mofukas.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i remember during my last semester at Gdub, i ran that bridge and at sprint-finishing post would lunge through the pole's line in the cement as if i were breaking the finish line on a track.

and i imagined myself grabbing the disc in front of Joe Cuneo. him, Foss, and some others were my negative inspiration.

and i agree that snausages and faust top the list of people to push you on your own team.

two questions: why is this post called 'get to work' ?

shouldn't it be called, 'i'm at work and remembering the little people along the way that helped me be who i am; if i wanted, i could run to work everyday and be the happiest smelly guy in the office' ?

5:04 PM

 
Blogger andrewsaltz said...

Ed,

Your post brought tears to my eyes…which means I had to check if any of my students had tried to mace me. (Answer was “no”, fyi.)

I remember doing my first bridge workout. I barely finished, and told Sanda I would walk back myself. 30 minutes later I was on some highway trying to figure out how I screwed up “go north”.

I too still do bridge runs – there is a .22 mile stretch of road with evenly spaced lampposts by stadiums. I do sets of up-and-back…nostalgically, of course.

Thanks for the shoutout,
Snaus

PS If you get bored, variants on the traditional bridge run include the 2-2 (faust), the 1-1-2-2-3-3 (aka the “A-Ron”), and House’s sprint 2-walk-1 sprint-4 walk 1 sprint 4. The “Ben Carlone” involves any one of those, except your pre-workout warm-up is eating a kielbasa and chugging a Miller Lite.

6:44 AM

 
Blogger Ben said...

The dreaded but repected bridge run.

It seems like we were right on for that workout. Just going on some of the stuff I have been reading, sprint intervals are much better than running 3-5 miles for 1. getting your wind up and 2. losing weight. I think Thomas started us doing that?

Snausy I remember your first day out there and even though you were a couple laps behind on the bridge it was definitly impressing that you were out there. Where was Statch? Not there that's for sure. And that is why you are a better person than him.

9:57 AM

 
Blogger MS said...

I remember doing the sprint workouts and capitol runs senior year with señor benjammin spears and have fond memories of discussing the finer points of keeping ones form and imagining how to correspond each movement in training into how you play and react on the field. Imagining pushing-off with each step you take made quite a difference.

Ed, I agree with waking up and running before going to work. I feel much more refreshed if I do this first thing in the morning rather than after work and then class. This past week was an experiment in timing and running. Next week, I'm going to reintroduce the bridge workout, but along battery park waterfront. It's not the same as the memorial bridge though, where you could sense how far along in your workout you were by gauging the distance between DC and Virginia.

10:57 AM

 
Blogger Tim said...

If i wanted to run, I would have joined Cross country.

I love you all

10:57 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

bonin was the training de jour at the unit E master suite, huh tim?

11:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, although I can definitely relate. I never worked hard than my soph year running group when I was on the bubble and in Old Man's running group with just old man and Rackitt. One was a phenom and the other determined my PT. It was fun to push yourself that hard but there needs to be some advanced goal setting to get the motivation.

1:50 PM

 
Blogger Quentin P. Live said...

to answer both bens:

ray ray - i couldn't come up with a any title, so i just used get to work. it's something that my friend alex says to me all the time when i'm working hard, be it at actual work or in my free time.

fauts - i brought this to g-dub. in high school, for lacrosse, we used to run what my coach called 6 packs. a lacrosse field, much like any field, is made up of 6 lengths...end line to midfield, midfield to end line, end line to end line, end line to midfield, midfield to end line, end line to end line....all along the perimeter of course.

so you jog one length, then sprint 1. jog 2 sprint 2, jog 3 on and on until you jog 6 then sprint 6...so you sprint the perimeter. it's crazy...but the best part of it is you have to do it all the way up and then all the way down. i always felt pride being able to do it. try it sometimes, it's a killer.

3:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually do intervals too. I do them along the edge of a field with evenly spaced trees. Unfortunately my dog doesn't realize that the speeds change so every time I slow down from sprint to jog, he runs into the back of my knees.

7:49 PM

 
Blogger ThoughtsOnWalls said...

London has many things, but a Memorial Bridge it has not.

From now on, I'll pretend that's the reason I'm out of shape these days. Although I now notch my belt two-three holes tighter than at the beginning of my trip.

7:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home