I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

6.15.2008

Watching game 5 of the finals

I'm watching the NBA finals right now and it's fun to watch, Lakers v. Celtics, whoop de freakin do.

So I guess it's exciting, but these games really don't seem much different to me than a regular season game, other than the stakes. OK, they do, but they follow the same pattern as all regular season games. Team A goes on a huge run early. Team B then follows up with a run of their own and HEY, what do you know, we have a close game in the end.

So I guess that's exciting, if incredibly predictable is exciting...which, in this case, it is. After all, after (man, 2 afters in 3 words...talk about impressive) Thursday night's game, I decided I would live if the Celtics actually won this title. My anti Boston sentiment wouldn't initially allow it, but how do you root against a team with 3 superstars who play together, one who was loyal to his old team for years, another who has mentored younger players his entire career and the third a guy who has played in boston, with all that scrutiny and drama that comes with that, only to be there for 10 years now...add to that the way their role players play and they play defense first...I'd have to hate sports to not be happy for this team.

Anyway, I have no idea where I was going or how far I diverged, but I did have a purpose for boring you with NBA comments...or at least I did. Completely gone now.

Well, i guess we should talk about something else then. I'm happy to announce that I found a car in Mario Kart Wii that makes it fun to play with Toad again. I had been playing with a whole bunch of randos, but now I unlocked this ATV looking car that works with a superstar of Toad's size, I can now comfortably compete with the legend that is Toad.

Man, I wish I remembered what the hell I wanted to write about the NBA...lousy ranting going nowhere.

I know it had something to do with the rules because I think a ton of NBA rules are just pathetic. First off, they penalize for hustle. Why is it that if two guys dive for a loose ball and contact is made, there is a foul called on the guy who doesn't get possession of the ball? That frustrates me to no end. I also think offensive fouls shouldn't count as personal fouls. They should have their 6 personal fouls plus like 3 offensive fouls...Maybe that's too many, so how about this: 5 or 6 personal fouls and offensive fouls count only as team fouls? Cool enough? Man, I hope.

I REMEMBERED:

Here is something I think is completely ridiculous:

In the NBA, the bench is pretty damn close to the court. A lot of times, players shoot 3s from right in front of this bench. It's not illegal for a player on the bench, to stand up and scream in the ear of someone who is setting up a shot. Why not? If anything, this is just terrible sportsmanship...actually, that's exactly what it is and exactly why I think the league shouldn't allow it.

You can't criticize an official in the NBA. On the court, they give you a technical foul. Off it, they fine the shit out of you.

Flopping was a big issue this post season. Plenty complained and the rule next year is that players who flop will be fined. To me, that's pretty soft. I'm not positive, mainly because I only read that players who flop will be fined on ESPN's bottomline, but I don't think offending players will get fouls called on them. It's seems a little soft that you're going to fine a player who doesn't commit a foul? Or maybe they are giving fouls for it too. If that's the case, then it's all rad with me.

But back to the point. Why is it permitted for bench players to scream in the ear, wave towels and stomp feet behind and next to a player on the court, in bounds? Like I said, I think it's pretty unsportsmanlike. Now, if the players on the court want to yell or whatever, so be it...but those who are resting or just bench or role players shouldn't be allowed to have an effect on the actions of the opposing team on the court...that is the role of the fans, IMHO.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a look at the fans on the opposite side of the court from the players benches. I'm pretty sure they are just as close as the players, and if it wasn't players yelling and waving towels it would be fans...so what's the big?

12:38 AM

 
Blogger House said...

Your comments on the rules are interesting to me, since in my current location, all I watch on TV is BBC and EuroCup 2008.

If you want to talk about flopping, talk about soccer. Get contact, flop on the ground, lay there for a few seconds to see if you can convince the refs, then slowly get up to convince oneself and the spectators that you aren't a pansy.

Also, you noted getting penalized for hustle. I also noticed that, watching the early part of the Playoffs while I was still home. You can compare it to soccer, too. Twice I have seen players get yellow cards for shooting at the goal after the whistle. How many American sports tell you to play through the whistle? I mean hell, even in Ultimate you teach players to keep playing even after the foul/pick/whatever. I think that rule is dumb, for the same reasons you laid out in thinking the same about basketball rules.

6:20 AM

 
Blogger Jack said...

It's been too long. Update now.

1:27 PM

 
Blogger ThoughtsOnWalls said...

House, if you ever plan on living in Eastern Europe, make sure you keep those commnts in English or just don't make them. But seriously, flopping is a problem, both in football and in basketball, although certain teams are flopping more than others at the Euros, which means it has something to do with team culture.

About the bench players though, Q: If bench players in basketball shouldn't be allowed to "help" their teammates, why should ultimate players? Remember those loud, jeering (and ultimately intimidating) sidelines at regionals? Remember the "no one sits, everyone yells and points" phase of your captaincy? Getting reserves to cheer and yell and get involved in the game pumps the whole team up, helps you win. So, as I can't imagine you justifying that all ultimate subs should be quiet, can you explain to me the apparent contradiction here?
Oh, and if you think it's a sportsmanship issue (as in, players should cheer but not jeer) then ow do you excuse the "not a thrower" call in ultimate? it's very useful to the defense, but really insulting to the player.

5:41 AM

 
Blogger Beef Supreme said...

I don't remember being intimidated by the G'dub sidelines. I do remember drunk Codrea embarrassing his parents though. That was awesome.

3:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home