I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

8.27.2007

I stuck my d!ck in the wall and all i got was f*cked

Chesapeake 2007, a.k.a. Truck Stop actually beats a nationals opponent before nationals.

I saw a lot of strong play from my team this weekend...emphasis on saw as I played a total of 13 points in 6 games....but that's another story for another 25 hour rant about how that makes me feel.

anyway, so we started with Chain from the A-T-L. Let me back up. We started with a first round bye, which was probably the best advantage we could have ever asked for. Why? Because it was 95 degrees out and the most humid day of the summer yet. It was terrible. I drank water constantly on the sidelines and was still rather dehydrated. I was dry heaving on the drive home and at times felt like I wasn't going to make it. It was a little scary. Oh, and I was by myself on the ride home, so all I kept thinking about was not suddenly passing out and trying to stay focused...but then I would dry heave again. I think I made it through because I really didn't want to boot all over myself, steering wheel and floor mat because nothing really gets that out. Additionally, if I were to do that, despite the amazing amount of comedy it would bring to anyone who ever heard about it afterwards, at that point I'd want to drive the car off the road just because there is no explaining booting all over yourself, even if you've been standing in the middle of a field with over 100 degrees temperature beating down on you for 8 straight hours. Miserable.

So we played Chain, who made it to semis at nationals last year. They did not have their full team, but they had plenty of talent. We beat them on double game point, which is pretty sweet because in Colorado we lost 4 games on dgp and only won 1 of them.

After Chain, we played Mad Cow from what can only be the worst place in America. On the 1 point I played (first point of the game), I was guarded by a short fat kid wearing a t shirt that was either 14 years old or the reason one of his teammates was missing his middle tooth. Honestly, this game was like playing all of Cletus' children, only they are pretty athletic. But this shirt was torn around half the collar and generally made this kid look like he had just left the troth, where breakfast had been served. Did I mention we hate this team? We played them last year. Lost 1 won 1. But every game caused numerous arguments and other crap and generally we hate this fucking yokel, inbred team. There are some guys who played with Jawbone last year that play with them now, so they had that sole redeeming factor because I get along with those guys and we have nice banter going back and forth.

Oh yeah, we won 9-7.

Then we played Boston...a combo of Metal and DoG. We had lost a game we should have won in Colorado on dgp to these guys, so we knew we could take them. We did. 13-11. This was the first time I've ever beaten a Boston team, be it Metal or DoG. It felt good...really really good because this was the only game I cared about all weekend. I was pretty pissed to get a total of 3 points in the first two games, so mentally I was out of those. I was into the Boston game, only got to play 2 points, but still into it, and was happy with the effort put forth by our entire team. The highlight for me was when Stout, our 6'4 defender, got a layout D on one of Boston's best cutters (Gibson). It was a highlight to me because Stout had been telling me how his brother had said Gibson was the only player he'd ever played against that was better than him...so I thought of a little sibling rivalry and that made me laugh...therefore, highlight.

We ended the day beat PoNY on a lightening shortened game. They were pretty beat up after a long, tough day, but started to come on strong in the second half as we appeared to be fading. I got to play a few points in this game, but by the time I felt like I could compete (after being cold from standing on the sideline all day), the game was called.

So 4-0 for the Truck. Great Success.

Sunday started with Truck Bowl III as Truck Stop took on Big Ass Truck (BAT). We kind of stole their name and I've always felt a little awkward about it but they've never said anything, so I guess it's ok...that and we have never lost to them, so does that make the name ours? Probably not until we have the nationals success that they have experienced. We rolled these guys pretty easily. I got to play 4 points, which was nice. I was thinking that the day before was just an aberration, but I was wrong as these were the last 4 points of my tournament. The game itself was great for us as we kept on rolling from the day before.

Now we were in the semis vs. Ring. We don't usually get along with Ring but this game was pretty even tempered. I think for the first time ever they started to respect us a little and that is nice. In the 3 years of Truck Stop, we've played Ring 4 or 5 times. In everyone but 1 of those games, we've either taken half or been right with them at halftime...last year in the finals at regionals we took half. We always get a break on the first couple of points and we up 3 breaks in this one. Then Ring did what they always do and blows us out in the second half. They play great 1 on 1 defense with their D line and even when their O turns the disc, they play great D. That's the difference between us and them. Our O line has our best throwers but our least athletic players. Our D line can hang with anyone but our O line, though improving on D, is still pretty shady. After taking half 8-6 and scoring the first point to make it 9-6, we found ourselves down 11-9, before making it 11-10 and then losing 14-10. Our D line almost got us the break to get it to 11-11 but we turned it and Ring never looked back. They're good. We are too but I think they're in our heads. My prediction is the first time we beat them, we will never lose to them again...as we will be over the hump.

We had a pretty bitter taste in our mouths, at least it seemed like it, after we finished the weekend with our loss to Ring...probably because we hate losing to Ring and they always demoralize us with their second half comebacks. But it was a very successful weekend all around for us. Next weekend the team is going to Santa Clara to play even better competition that Colorado but I am going to a wedding and cannot make it...it's probably for the best though because as much fun as spending $500 to be a cheerleader is, I think I'd rather save that money and spend it on something that doesn't make me feel like I've been wasting my time.

So after all the feel good stories of the 3 year plan paying off, it turns out that I was just on cloud 9 by myself and I guess I made some shit up because I did literally nothing this weekend. On the 13th points I played, I think I touched the disc a total of 6 times. Most of the time I was just running up the field as we scored quickly or having to play D as someone no where near me turned the disc over. It was pretty upsetting.

I had talked to a friend of mine who recently moved to Charlottesville, Va about how I might not see him for a few months because my weekends are consumed with work and frisbee, but it made me think why I put all this time into something when I can be easily replaced? Actually, there are 5 other people who play my position and only 3 go on at a time, so I wouldn't even need to be replaced...it's a pretty worthless feeling. I'm not going anywhere, as I am determined to see the season out and I love most of my teammates, but I want to contribute this year as opposed to last year when I didn't even play on Sunday at regionals. I want to help my team win rather than watch it happen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's how i felt much of 2004 and then again at regionals 2005. put in a lot of hard work - get told there's a lot to contribute and then sit and cheer. really frustrating and one of the reasons i never pursed ultimate competitively again (that and i don't want to play on swag teams). i always tried to work hard and realized i wasn't the best - but always thought i could contribute. . . i feel your frustration.

10:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home