I can't be held responsible for the things I say or write...

8.31.2007

No place I'd rather be

than sitting at my desk at 8:45 on Friday night...the friday night of labor day weekend in fact. I got a half 12 pack of Natty Boh at my apartment just waiting for me to drink...but I think I'll just sit here for a little while longer...maybe another 2 hours or so. After all, I've been practically just sitting here for the past hour anyway, what's two more, right?

For those unware, Natty Boh is Baltimore's version of the King. The main difference, to me at least, and I don't mean to offend the King because the King is good people, is that my stomach doesn't fight me for a full day after like it does when pounding kings. I've had some pretty intense trauma from a day or two after a fun night or 3 of the king. Natty Boh, so gentle, so friendly.

So as I fought off tears while walking around work today, I started to think about this whole "business like mentality" thing you're supposed to have at work. Like how to get the job done for the good of the company or client, you're supposed to be willing to give up your free time or make sacrifices...all in the name of good business. I think today I realized that this is total bullshit.

Why is it that the place where I spend the majority of my time, do I get treated the worst? And I don't think it's just me or people that I work with...and honestly we don't get treated all that badly, it's just that we don't get to be who we are.

Essentially, I go through everyday holding something back. Be it a manic day when I'm off the wall and could literally run up the side of a wall until I hit the ceiling or the day when I want to literally slap the annoying girl who starts everyone of my days with a very very very friendly "Good morning!" But you can't do it...I guess I understand why I can't do either of those things, moreso the walls thing because we just remodeled and don't want to mess up the new paint, but still.

I guess this is what makes work, work. Here we are now though, I just found out that the document I'm waiting to finalize before I can go home has just been totally changed around. It's 9 pm on a weekend with a midnight deadline and we are now pushing everything else back 45 minutes...which means I went from leaving at 10 to leaving around 11, minimum.

This is what I'm talking about. No apology to be expected. No thanks for your sacrifice, here's an extra something to say thank you...just a "this is what's expected of you an oh by the way, we're gonna need you to come in on saturday." True story, just not for me. Plenty of people who have worked past midnight more than once this week will be here tomorrow and the day after and on Labor Day for more exciting, ever so important projects for people who make it a point to let you know how little they care about you.

Sorry to go down this overall road of positivity and all but that's what happens after two straight days of working until your eyes go blurry and the only break you get is to go into the bathroom that literally smells worse than the monkey cages at the zoo. I kid you not, it's brutal. I won't even go in the one on my floor anymore, it's just awful.

One would think that in the place you spend the most amount of time, there would be some underlying understanding between everyone that we're all in this together and what not but it's just not like that. It's every person for his or herself with a giant F U waiting for each and every person just hiding beneath the surface.

So if you're in DC around 14th street, do me a favor and bring me by a 6 pack of anything with the word beer in the description. That'd be nice of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home